With only six ingredients and five minutes of prep time, you can have these Slow Cooker Honey Glazed Carrots as a super easy and healthy gluten-free side dish!
Can you believe that Easter is only a few weeks away?! Where has 2017 gone?!
Carrots are such an iconic part of Easter. The Easter bunny eats them and so should we… in the form of these delicious Slow Cooker Honey Glazed Carrots, of course!
As a kid my mom always made the most delicious glazed carrots as a side dish for dinner. Looking back they were definitely more of a dessert considering how much sugar went into them!
For these Slow Cooker Honey Glazed Carrots, I wanted to make them a bit healthier for us. Instead of using 100% refined sugar to sweeten these baby carrots, I used half honey and half brown sugar.
Want to make these Slow Cooker Honey Glazed Carrots even healthier?
While these slow cooker honey glazed carrots are healthier than the version I grew up with, you can make them even better for you by implementing one (or all!) of the following variations:
- Use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar.
- Use coconut oil, olive oil, or another butter substitute for vegan.
- Use maple syrup instead of honey for a vegan alternative.
- Use organic baby carrots instead of regular baby carrots.
A Few Tips When Making These Slow Cooker Honey Glazed Carrots:
Slow cookers can be VERY finicky. I use a 5-year-old 6 qt. Crock Pot slow cooker. The time and temperatures recommended in this recipe are according to my slow cooker, and work for most modern slow cookers. Below are a few pointers for making these honey glazed carrots:
- Start paying attention to the carrots after about 4 hours. If you notice that a lot of the liquid has evaporated, add a little more water.
- Try not to remove the lid more than once or twice since this will slow down the cooking of the carrots.
- If you would like to cook these on Low, you can cook them for 8-10 hours and stir carrots after 6 hours of cooking.
Serve these honey glazed carrots with additional brown sugar, honey or a sprinkle of your favorite herb! We served ours up with fresh dill from our herb garden. 🙂
DID YOU MAKE THESE SLOW COOKER HONEY GLAZED CARROTS?
I would love to know!! Tag a picture @glutenfreewithlb and #glutenfreewithlb
or leave a comment below 🙂
Slow Cooker Honey Glazed Carrots
- 2 lb mini carrots
- ¼ c water
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar packed
- 3 Tbsp honey*
- 2 Tbsp butter* cut into 8 cubes
- ¼ tsp salt
- Chopped Herbs optional
Place carrots, water, brown sugar, honey, butter and salt in a medium to large slow cooker.
Set slow cooker to High for 5-6 hours. Stir carrots after 4-5 hours of cooking.
Serve glazed carrots with chopped thyme, rosemary or dill and enjoy!
*Can also use maple syrup and vegan butter / olive oil for an easy vegan alternative.
Want more recipes like these Slow Cooker Honey Glazed Carrots?