Slow Cooker Chicken Curry that is made with coconut milk and sweet potatoes!! It is naturally gluten free and makes a delicious lunch or dinner when served with rice.
A couple of weekends ago we hosted our annual Christmas party. Each year friends and family from all avenues of our life gather for an evening of fun and food.
This year was particularly entertaining when we happened to have a group of about 30-35 unexpected guests. Let me back up a bit here…
Earlier that day my husband ran a race called “The Beer Mile.” I know… quite the paradox. In this race each runner chugs a beer, runs a quarter of a mile loop, chugs a beer, runs a loop, etc., until he/she has run 1 mile and consumed 4 beers. Our party was to begin a mere 3 hours after this event ended.
The party was going great, people were starting to dig into this Slow Cooker Chicken Curry when all of a sudden some people from the race showed up. (Our good friend is well connected in the running scene and had invited a few over.) They were extremely polite so we gladly welcomed them into our home.
Before we knew it groups of 5-6 people were showing up, that were not-so-polite, and had already had a bit too much fun since the run. Before I knew it the place looked like a frat house!!
Luckily, the chaos didn’t last for long before my slightly intimidating hubby got frustrated and kicked the strangers out of our house. Once the house cleared out our group of 25-30 friends and family remained and a round of applause broke out. It was time to really enjoy the festivities.
However, when we looked around we noticed that all of the drunken strangers were also quite ravenous runners. All of our chips, dips and cheese boards had been consumed.
I quickly calmed everyone down and proudly announced… “They might have devoured the guacamole… but they didn’t find the two slow cookers of curry I hid!!”
People quickly dove into the two Crock Pots full of this slow cooker chicken curry.
A Vegetarian/Vegan Alternative to this Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
Two of our really good friends are vegetarian. I knew they were coming to the party and I wanted to make sure they had something more than chips and dip to eat. A simple way to make this chicken curry fit for a vegetarian is to leave out the chicken and substitute it for 2 cans of drained chickpeas. You can leave all of the other ingredients the same!
Did you make this recipe?
I would love to hear what you thought in the comments section below.
Or tag it #glutenfreewithlb and @glutenfreewithlb so I can see it!
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry that is made with coconut milk and easy to find ingredients!! It is naturally gluten free makes a delicious lunch or dinner when served with rice.
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp curry powder mild
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 15-oz cans coconut milk full fat
- 1 c water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 c sweet potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium sweet onion cut into 1-inch pieces
- Rice cooked
- Cilantro optional
- In a small bowl combine curry powder, turmeric, coriander, salt and sugar. Toss to combine.
- Place chicken breasts in a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Add coconut milk and water and make sure to lift up the chicken breasts to prevent the chicken from burning.
- Add butter, garlic, and the bowl of seasoning ingredients. Stir the liquid to incorporate the seasonings.
- Add sweet potatoes and onions. Stir to combine.
- Cover slow cooker and set to Low for 6-8 hours, or High for 4-6 hours.
- Check on curry during the last hour of cooking and stir the ingredients if the curry is starting to stick to the sides.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred it with a fork. Place chicken back into the slow cooker for the remaining time.
- Serve chicken curry with jasmine rice and additional cilantro, if desired, and enjoy!
Want more recipes like this Slow Cooker Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk?
Be sure to check out these other slow cooker recipes here on Gluten Free with L.B.: