Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins are refined sugar-free, gluten-free, and a super yummy breakfast, snack or dessert recipe for Spring!
This past weekend I got to celebrate my baby sister’s upcoming wedding by attending/hosting her bachelorette party. We had a blast!!
A crew of six girls went out to Fredericksburg, Texas where we sipped on vino all day and were escorted around by a very nice driver. He definitely had some patience with all of the T-Swift music going on.
The following night we came back to Austin and crashed at our place. The hubby was out of town so I had the chance to go all out and decorate with a Kate Spade theme… Pink, black, white and gold… polka dots, stripes and tons of balloons. And oh ya… did I forget the bubbly?
Knowing there would already be a few sweet items being brought by the other girls, I decided to make a batch of these healthy lemon blueberry muffins.
Let me tell you a few things about how awesome these healthy lemon blueberry muffins are…
- They are refined sugar-free!! Yup, no processed, refined sugar needed. Only pure, wildflower, super tasty honey is used to sweeten these healthy lemon blueberry muffins.
- Coconut oil!! And of course, a bit of butter. The combo of equal coconut oil and butter gives these muffins their fluffy texture, amazing rise and rich flavor.
- Lemon + Blueberries?! All things Spring can be found in these healthy lemon blueberry muffins. No need to choose between your two favorites anymore!
Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Honey
- ¼ c coconut oil melted
- ¼ c butter softened
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ½ c honey
- 1 ½ c white rice flour
- ¾ c tapioca starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ c lemon juice
- ¼ c milk or almond milk
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 c frozen blueberries thawed for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine oil, butter, eggs and honey. Mix by hand or with a mixer on low speed until just combined.
In a separate medium-sized bowl sift together white rice flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt.
- Alternatively add dry ingredients to the butter/honey bowl with the lemon juice and milk until all are added. Mix by hand or with a mixer on low speed.
- Dab the thawed blueberries with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Hand mix in the blueberries and lemon zest until just combined. *
- Line 12 muffin cups with muffin papers and spray with a bit of non-stick cooking spray. Divide muffin batter into equal amounts between the cups.
- Bake for 23-26 minutes**, or until a toothpick can be inserted in and comes out clean.
*Try not to overmix so the blueberries do not bleed their color into the rest of the muffin batter.
**If using fresh blueberries: Your cook time may be less. Make sure to watch the muffins at around 22 minutes to see if they are done!
Want more recipes like these Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Honey?
Be sure to check out the other breakfast bread recipes here on Gluten Free with L.B.: