Pesto and mozzarella stuffed meatloaf that is loaded with Italian flavor and makes a wonderful gluten-free main course for dinner.
If there had to be one food group that I could not live without, it would hands down be meat. I am totally that girl who eats all of the sausage and pepperonis off of the pizza when my hubby isn’t looking. (It’s OK though, he’s more of a veggie-lover.)
Are you a meat-lover, too?
The inspiration for this surprise-inside mozzarella stuffed meatloaf came as we were trying to decide what to do with all of the basil from our garden. For a few days straight we must have had Caprese salads for almost every meal. Needing a little protein in my life, making a meatloaf with these same flavors seemed like a win-win.
What goes into this Mozzarella Stuffed Meatloaf? (besides mozzarella, of course!)
- Ground turkey and mild Italian sausage make up the bulk of this meatloaf. Giving you a balance of flavor and nutrition.
- Dried basil, oregano and garlic help intensify the Italian flavors.
- Pesto. Homemade or store-bought, they will both taste great!
A few tips when making this Pesto & Mozzarella Stuffed Meatloaf:
- Get high-quality mozzarella.
- Make sure you get fresh mozzarella, not packaged and shredded. The flavor will be SO much better!
- Use your favorite kind of spaghetti sauce.
- If you like to make homemade spaghetti sauce, go for it! If you want to make it a little quicker, just use your favorite jar of spaghetti sauce.
- It can get messy!
- Make sure you COMPLETELY seal the sides of the meatloaf before baking. As you can see in the picture above, a little mozzarella is peeking out. Imagine if it was like that the ENTIRE way around – EEK! So trust me when I say, it is worth it to triple check if your meatloaf is sealed!
In all honesty, I consider this to be a meal in itself. After all, we’ve got our protein, our calcium and a bit of veggies in the spaghetti sauce. (I see that horrified look on some of your faces!!)… However, if you want to make it a REAL meal for your family, you can always serve this alongside a beautiful spinach salad with a balsamic vinaigrette and a big piece of crusty gluten-free garlic bread.
Happy Mozzarella Meatloafin’!!
Want more recipes like this Pesto & Mozzarella Stuffed Meatloaf?
Be sure to check out the other gluten-free dinner recipes here on Gluten Free with L.B.: