Orange Creamsicle Mini Tarts… the name just sounds inviting. What better way to welcome in spring than with these deliciously tasty and surprisingly healthy treats. These mini tarts have a wonderfully soft texture and a nicely balanced orange flavor. The middle is made mostly of soaked cashews, which unbelievably results in the creamiest, most delightful cheesecake-like filling, without all of the guilt! So yes, they are also flattering to your waistline! They are made with all gluten free, dairy free, paleo and (can be made) vegan ingredients. (All you have to do is substitute agave nectar for the honey.) So if you are craving something sweet, but still want to stick to your diet’s strict guideline’s, this is the treat for you. If you happen to want more recipes like them, check out the following recipes on the site or the new e-Book, Free to be Raw, which is full of 30 treats just like these! Enjoy!
- Healthy Fudge Nut Truffles
- Blueberry Tarts with Almond Crusts
- Raw Choco-Glazed Peanut Butter Bars
- Raw Cocoa-Nut Peanut Butter Squares
Orange Creamsicle Mini Tarts
These mini tarts have a wonderfully soft texture and a nicely balanced orange flavor.
- 1 ½ c walnuts raw
- 1 ¼ c almonds raw
- ⅔ c coconut flour
- ⅓ c packed pitted dates
- 3 T coconut oil melted
- ⅓ c honey raw, wildflower (can use agave nectar for vegan recipe)
- ¼ t salt
- 1 t vanilla extract
Orange Creamsicle Filling
- 2 c cashews raw, soaked in water for at least 1 hour and then drained
- 1 T coconut oil melted
- 3 T honey
- ½ c fresh orange juice
- Zest from 1 orange
- ¼ t salt
- ½ t vanilla
- Orange food coloring if desired (I used 5 drops yellow and 3 drops red to make it a bright orange)
For the Tarts:
- Place the walnuts, almonds and coconut flour in the bowl of a food processor and process for 1-2 minutes, or until nuts become a fine powder. Add in dates and process another 30 seconds.
- Add in remaining tart ingredients and continue processing until mixture begins to stick together.
- Take a 1 ½ to 2 tablespoon-sized ball of “tart dough” and push it into the bottom of a mini-cupcake cavity. (*Optional* You can line each cavity with a cupcake liner.)
- Press dough almost all of the way up the sides. Do this with the remaining dough (you should have enough dough to make ~24 tarts.)
- Refrigerate until filling is ready.
For the Orange Creamsicle Filling:
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of the food processor and process for 3-5 minutes, or until mixture is completely smooth and homogenous.
- Fill each tart with 1-1 ½ tablespoons of the filling. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!