Whip up a Lemon Turmeric Smoothie in under five minutes for a healthy breakfast option that is made with bananas, fresh lemon juice and zest, yogurt, chia seeds and turmeric!
You better believe that when the temperature outside reaches 80 degrees, this girl will be whipping up TONS of lemon concoctions.
And here in Texas, 80 degrees came WAAAYYY too early this year. I’m definitely not complaining though… I am already about two sunburns in and it’s not even April yet!?
In addition to these Healthy Lemon & Blueberry Muffins, my most recent lemon infatuation has been this lemon turmeric smoothie with chia seeds.
A few frozen bananas and yogurt make up the bulk of these lemon turmeric smoothies.
What Type of Yogurt Do I Use in this Lemon Turmeric Smoothie?
Our good friend Hunter came back from a SXSW event and was absolutely RAVING about this yogurt he tried.
The next day I went to our local grocery store to grab some Honey and Raspberry-flavored Noosa yogurts. They were incredible! And definitely part of the inspiration for this lemon turmeric smoothie with chia seeds.
Feel free to use whatever honey, vanilla, or mildly-flavored yogurt you prefer. I did not use Greek yogurt in this particular recipe, but feel free to use it if that is what you have on hand!
What are the Health Benefits of Turmeric?
One of my favorite things to do is to find alternative uses for the spices I have in my kitchen. If you have checked out the site a bit, you might have noticed that I LOVE all things curry. So of course, turmeric is a staple in our pantry.
A few benefits of adding turmeric to your smoothies:
- Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory substance.
- Turmeric is not only an antioxidant, but it can also increase the body’s antioxidant capacity.
- Turmeric makes a wonderful natural food coloring.
- Tumeric may help guard against cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s disease.
In addition to all of it’s touted health benefits, I promise… you won’t even be able to taste it in this lemon turmeric smoothie!
DID YOU MAKE THIS LEMON TURMERIC SMOOTHIE?
I would love to know!! Tag a picture @glutenfreewithlb and #glutenfreewithlb
or leave a comment below!!
Lemon Turmeric Smoothie with Chia Seeds
Whip up a Lemon Turmeric Smoothie in under five minutes for a healthy breakfast option made with bananas, fresh lemons, yogurt, chia seeds and turmeric!
- 3 bananas frozen, cut into pieces
- 1 c yogurt, vanilla or honey flavored can use vegan yogurt
- ½ c coconut milk or almond milk
- 2 tbsp honey or agave nectar if vegan
- ¼ c lemon juice fresh
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
Place all ingredients, except for the chia seeds, in a large blender or food processor.
- Blend mixture until it is completely smooth.
Add chia seeds and blend for 5 seconds or until just incorporated.
- You can either serve immediately or wait 5 minutes for the chia seeds to soak up some of the liquid. Enjoy!
Want more recipes like this Lemon Turmeric Smoothie with Chia Seeds?