Sweet potato ground turkey chili is a healthy and quick gluten free dinner recipe that is full of black beans, corn, and lots of chili flavor!
You might remember me telling you about Utopiafest. It is an awesome music festival that takes place every year in the hill country of Texas. The attendance is capped at about 2-3,000 and everyone gets to camp out for the weekend.
Last year the weather was, well, a bit dreadful. It was held the first weekend of September. Have you ever been to Texas at that time of year? It is hot. Sweltering hot, to be exact. The high on the Saturday of the music festival was 96 degrees?!
So this year when I found out the festival was being held the first weekend of OCTOBER I… was… PUMPED!
October normally brings with it the first bit of cool weather. And sure enough, mother nature did not let us down. It was a magnificent 78 degrees during the day and a crisp 54 degrees at night. What I had not planned on, however, was that I would also have one heck of a cold.
Have you ever been camping with a cold?
Confession time… I was a bit of a fuddy duddy the Friday of the festival. I officially took two naps, yup, two!… and then proceeded to crash out before midnight. But on Saturday… it was a whole different story. And quite honestly, I think I have this nutritious sweet potato ground turkey chili to thank. (Ok, maybe the naps helped a bit, too!)
What makes this Sweet Potato Ground Turkey Chili so nutritious?
- Sweet potatoes aren’t just tasty…
- Sweet potatoes are chock-full of Vitamin A and a good bit of Vitamin C, too.
- It is full of lean and mean protein.
- Ground turkey is a wonderful substitute for ground beef if you do not want all of the fat. Feel free to use ground chicken or venison for more healthy alternatives.
- Tomatoes make up the base of the chili.
- Tomatoes are also full of Vitamin A and C.
Loaded with nutrition and full of flavor, this sweet potato ground turkey chili is a win-win for the cold-weather seasons.
I hope this Fall season finds you happy and healthy. Remember to keep consuming enough Vitamin C as we head into the winter season (aka- flu season!)
Happy Ground Turkey Chillin’!
Healthy Sweet Potato Ground Turkey Chili
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion coarsely chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey I used 93/7
- 4 c sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 T chili powder
- 2 t cumin
- 1 t paprika can use smoked paprika if you prefer
- 2 t salt
- ¾ t pepper
- 1/8 t cinnamon
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 c chicken broth or water
- 1-15 oz can sweet whole kernel corn drained
- 1-15 oz can black beans drained
- Corn chips optional
- Cilantro optional
- Sour cream optional
- Cooked rice optional
- In a large saucepan, or large shallow pot, drizzle olive oil. Add onions and saute over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Push onions to the side and add ground turkey. Continue cooking over medium heat for 6-8 minutes, or until turkey is almost cooked through.
- Add sweet potatoes and saute for another 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Pour crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and pre-mixed seasoning ingredients into the chili mixture. Mix chili thoroughly and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover pot and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add drained corn and black beans. Cover and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Check to see if sweet potatoes are fork-tender before serving. If you would like a slightly thicker chili, mash some of the sweet potatoes to help thicken it.
- Serve chili over rice with corn chips, cilantro and sour cream and enjoy!
Want more recipes like this Healthy Sweet Potato Ground Turkey Chili?
Be sure to check out these other healthy dinner recipes here on Gluten Free with L.B.: